Technics 1200 is a stellar turntable that has been winning hearts since its launch in 1972. Even though it is priced quite highly, it is very popular because of the audio it delivers. Maybe that’s why, despite having stopped manufacturing in 2010, Matsushita Electric began production again in 2016.
Just like any other audio device, after prolonged usage, you will see the need to change the stylus and cartridge on your turntable. If that’s you, you are in the right place. Read on to find out what the online world holds for us in this category.
Table of Contents
Best Cartridge For Technics 1200
This is a curated list consisting of top choices based on reviews and experience. Please be sure to compare them so that you purchase the one that suits your needs.
1. Audio-Technica Turntable Cartridge – VM750SH
This is a dual moving magnet that works in tandem with the right and left channels of the stereo. It has a Shibata stylus of very high quality. Below are more details:
- The dual magnets promise extended frequency response and channel separation.
- The stylus is designed to give you better surface contact. It is an upgrade over elliptical styli.
- It is capable of picking up high frequencies without added stress. It also keeps distortion at bay.
- The cartridge has paratoroidal coils that have the responsibility to increase efficiency.
- You don’t have to worry about crosstalk because the center shield is designed to reduce it.
- The housing is made of die-cast aluminum alloy, which works to create an electric shield.
- The cartridge comes with everything you need for installation including mounting hardware.
2. Audio-Technica Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge – AT-VM95ML
This model of cartridges from Audio-Technica is also a dual magnet option with aluminum cantilever. It belongs to the M series lineup and comes with the following features:
- It has a micro-linear stylus with a nude square shank.
- The polymer housing promises low resonance and high durability.
- The entire body of the cartridge has thread inserts to help you mount the head shell with little to no effort. You just need 2 screws and nothing else.
- You can use this cartridge with any AT-VMN95 stylus.
- Distortion here is minimal.
3. Audio-Technica Cartridge Combo
Yes, indeed, Audio-Technica is a leader when it comes to cartridges for turntables. That is why it is dominating our list! This one’s a combo kit that has a cartridge (dual moving magnet) and a headshell bundle. A few of its highlights are as follows:
- The kit comes pre-assembled, which means that you can use it straight out of the box without any problems.
- The cartridge, together with its elliptical bonded stylus, ensures that the frequency response is upgraded.
- The stylus has been engineered to follow the groove modulation perfectly so that you get precise frequency.
- The tonal quality is also extremely good with this cartridge.
- It provides great channel separation as well as low distortion.
4. Ortofan Moving Magnet Cartridge
The fourth item on our list comes with a lovely recommendation from Amazon itself. It is an upgrade from standard cartridges and comes with the following features:
- This is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers dynamic sound that’s open and soothing.
- It has an elliptical diamond stylus.
- The cartridge has a bright Hopelex body that gets rid of unnecessary resonance. It is also rigid and environment-friendly.
- The dual magnet motor is strong enough to ensure that the stylus spins without interruptions.
- The musical reproductions are tonally balanced.
5. Ortofan Concorde Mix Twin Cartridge – MK2
These cartridges have been customized to suit the modern turntables. So, if you have a latest model of the Technics 1200, we are positive, this one will be a good choice. Below are a few highlights of the same:
- You can use the cartridge with pretty much any turntable that has a removable head shell.
- This is a set of 2 cartridges encased in an aluminum case.
- They have pre-mounted styli. The stylus is spherical and does not cause any damage to the record.
- This cartridge works well to eliminate crosstalk and transfer high amounts of information seamlessly.
- It is the perfect choice for beginner DJs who want superior scratches with an output power of 10mv.
People also ask
1) Are Technics 1200 worth it?
Absolutely, they are. The Technics 1200 turntables are considered among the best ever in their category.
2) Why are Technics 1200 so expensive?
The manufacturing costs are high and this directly affects the price tag.
3) Do they still make Technics 1200?
Yes, they do.
4) Does Technics 1200 need a preamp?
You will need one for a boost in the signal.
5) Who owns Technics now?
Panasonic is the parent company.
6) Why are Technics 1200 turntables the best?
This is because they offer superior design, durability, and performance.
To make the most of your turntable and to ensure that you get superior sound quality all the time, upgrading your worn-out cartridge is a must. This article was aimed at helping you in that aspect. If you have any doubts or concerns regarding the same, please feel free to speak to us.