If you live in a family home or a home that was constructed in the 1980s or before, you will see that there are certain things that are quite unique. Take a look at the sewer system, for example. It is likely made of cast iron.
Table of Contents
PVC To Cast Iron Hub
If you want to remodel your kitchen or bathroom now, you will have to connect a new PVC pipe to the old cast iron system because cast iron is not used anymore. Personally, we would recommend that you hire an expert to do this for you because it is not something a DIY enthusiast can pull off. However, learning about the process and which hub to pick will help you make better decisions.
Why Is Connecting PVC To Cast Iron Hub An Expert’s Job?
Cast iron is a difficult material to work with, especially if it is old. There are special tools that you need just to cut it. Also, since cast iron is heavy, it is almost impossible for a single person to handle it.
Another point that you should consider is having to tunnel down the ground because cast iron are usually down there.
All this adds up to extensive labor and time. Unless you are positive that you can do it yourself, you shouldn’t risk it.
PVC To Cast Iron Hub – Editor’s Choice
No matter what you decide, one thing is for sure – you need a hub to connect your new PVC to the old cast iron. We are here to help you with exactly that. Below are some of our top recommendations:
1. Supply Giant 6I44 Flexible PVC Coupling with Stainless Steel Clamps
The first product on our list has Amazon’s stamp of approval, which means that it has great reviews and happy users. Let’s find out why:
- It is available in various sizes right from 1 to 6 inches.
- 4. Supply Giant 6I47 Flexible PVC Coupling4. Supply Giant 6I47 Flexible PVC CouplingThis is a pack of 2 hubs, each of them having a pair of stainless steel clamps.
- The coupling is compatible not just with cast iron but also with plastic, lead, steel, and copper.
- It is perfect for indoor and outdoor sewers, vent piping systems, and non-pressure drains.
- It has been approved for underground usage.
- The hub also has all the necessary certifications.
2. Supply Giant 6I56 Flexible PVC Reducing Coupling
This is another product from Supply Giant and yes, it is Amazon’s Choice as well. Its design and features are different, though. Read on for a closer look:
- It has a PVC gasket and 300 series stainless steel clamps.
- The reducing coupling is compatible with steel, cast iron, lead, and copper piping.
- It is completely leak-proof and resistant to rotting.
- The hub is perfect for non-pressure valving, both indoors and outdoors. It also has approval to be used underground.
- Its size is 4” x 1 ½”.
3. Charlotte Pipe Hub Adapter Pipe Fitting
Affordable and reliable at the same time, this Charlotte Pipe Hub Adapter can meet all your requirements. It has been specifically made for drains and vents. Its features are as follows:
- The hub is made of PVC and is very lightweight.
- It is very easy to work with because it does not require any special tools for cutting or installation.
- PVC Schedule 40 is a durable material that has multiple drainage applications.
- It works with all non-pressure and gravity-fed systems.
- It conforms to all the required standards and regulations such as the NFS International Standard.
- The size of this hub is 3 inches.
4. Supply Giant 6I47 Flexible PVC Coupling
This particular model from Supply Giant measures 2 inches and is extremely popular among users for the following reasons:
- It is made of PVC and has a reducer connector.
- You can use it for any non-pressure application for vents, sewer systems, and drainage systems.
- With this connector, you don’t have to worry about infiltration, exfiltration, rotting, or corrosion.
- It is also completely rot-proof.
- It is UPC certified and approved for usage below the ground.
5. Supply Giant 6I55 Flexible PVC Coupling
The 6I55 model has a couple of stainless steel clamps that you can adjust based on your needs. It has the following features:
- The connector has been made with PVC with a reducer connector.
- It has various certifications and conforms to the required standards.
- Any gravity-fed system will do well with this addition. The same holds true for non-pressure drains.
- You can use it underground, indoors, and outdoors.
- It has rubber fittings with details about size, part number, and approvals.
The biggest difference is usually in the size and diameter. All products are more or less the same except for these variations. No matter which one you choose, we are positive that you will be happy with it. Make sure you check the part number and size before purchase.