Remember those days when only humans came under the “smart” category? Ah, such simple times!
Today, everything from your phone to your home can be smart! Technology has boomed so drastically in the past couple of decades that none of us is happy without smart gadgets. Home automation is the latest technological trend that’s catching up with most of us. The idea of living in a home that automatically switches on the TV and adjusts the light or opens the curtains is fascinating and REAL!
The one thing that makes this possible, besides brilliant minds, is the Internet. For your home to be automated, you must have a strong Wi-Fi connection, and that’s where routers come in. Also, it’s not enough to have a regular router. A smart home needs a smart router!
What is a smart Wi-Fi router?
We are positive that this is the first question that came to your mind. What exactly is a smart router, and how does it differ from the normal one? Well, it is quite an upgrade, to be honest, because it has multiple features that normal routers cannot boast of. A few of them are as follows:
- They can handle a great number of devices in one shot.
- They are very easy to use since they are less technical. In other words, smart routers are actually for regular users who may or may not have technical knowledge. This makes them quite attractive because from setup to usage, you don’t have to break your head trying to understand what to do.
- You won’t need to go to the router to control it or change its settings. You can operate a smart router from your smartphone itself. All you need is its app!
- You can pause the Internet whenever you want.
- You can prioritize a few devices for better speed.
- You can grant access to guests temporarily without being forced to share your password.
Best Router for Home Automation
Since this space is relatively new, we understand your concerns about buying the best smart Wi-Fi router. You need something that can balance the load well even when there are many devices. To ease your confusion, we have researched and tested multiple routers. Here are our top 5.
1. Motorola AC2600 4×4 Wi-Fi Smart Router
Let’s start with Amazon’s Choice! Fairly priced and loaded with excellent features, the Motorola Smart Router is one of our favorites. It promises to give you a high-speed intelligent connection, which is basically the main reason why we all want smart routers. What else? Keep reading!
- It has a very high range and promises great speed even when you are far away.
- It does not let neighbors’ Wi-Fi connections weaken its signal.
- It connects via AC2600 dual-band Wi-Fi to every device in the house, including tablets, computers, game stations, smartphones, and HDTVs.
- It has 4 Gigabit LAN ports.
- It also has 4 antennae, which are adjustable.
- It has a dual core processor, parental control, user-friendly firewall, guest network capability, media sharing support, and smart quality of service support.
- Motorola offers a 2-year warranty on the router.
- Important – It does not have a built-in modem.
2. TP-Link AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router
Our second choice is also Amazon’s Choice! And, of course, we couldn’t keep TP-Link away for long. It is one of the most popular smart routers out there with thousands of positive reviews to back its working. Let’s get into the details now:
- It is compatible with 802.11 AC devices and older.
- It is a dual-band router that can reach 1750 Mbps speed.
- It has 3 external antennae that provide long range Wi-Fi.
- It has 4 Gigabit LAN ports that allow you to access many devices in one go.
- You can download the TP-Link Tether app to set it up and also to control it remotely.
- Its USB port functions as a media server.
- Even though it is suitable for all home automation needs, gamers will particularly love this router.
- It has parental control features.
- TP-Link provides free technical support. So, you can always get in touch with them if you have queries.
3. ASUS Dual Band 2×2 AC1300 Superfast Wi-Fi Router
You really shouldn’t be surprised to find ASUS on the list. It may be better known for its laptops, but it also manufactures excellent smart routers. Don’t believe us? We shall run you through this Amazon’s Choice smart router then.
- It works on the latest MU-MIMO technology that enables a combined speed of 1267 Mbps.
- It has 4 5dbi antennae that improve performance and Wi-Fi range.
- It connects to all devices that are 802.11 AC compatible.
- You can set up, manage, and control the router by downloading the ASUS Router App on your smartphone.
- It has a USB port so that you share flash drives or external drives with ease.
- It supports both Windows and Mac OS.
- It has a web-based interface.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6700)
No list about routers can be complete without at least one mention of NETGEAR. Here it is! The Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router can give you up to 1500 square feet coverage, which is outstanding! Here are a few more of its features:
- You can use it connect up to 25 devices!
- It has 3 amplified antennae.
- It works with Mac, Windows, Linux, and Unix.
- It has multiple advanced features such as smart connect, dynamic QoS, dual core processor, parental controls, and Beamforming+.
- NETGEAR offers a 30-day trial period for you to try the router and see if it meets all your home automation needs.
5. TP-Link A1900 Smart Wi-Fi Router
Let’s round it off with another excellent TP-Link Smart Router! This one is a wave 2 Wi-Fi Router, providing 1300 Mbps speed on the 5 GHz band. Listed below are a few more features:
- It offers boosted coverage thanks to the Beamforming technology. It also provides a seamless, uninterrupted connection.
- It is an MU MIMO router that allows 3 data streams at the same time.
- It provides tough security features such as parental control, VPN server, and access control.
- It has a smart connect technology and is compatible with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, etc.
- The manufacturers provide free 24/7 technical support.
Now that you know which smart routers are leading in 2019, it is time to make a smart choice. Remember to consider all your requirements and budget before concluding and purchasing. All the best!